|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Deschutes County Historical Society|
This school, located near the convergence of Wall and Bond streets, opened in 1903. Patrick Rowan became the teacher and received $55 per month. A graduate of the State University in Wisconsin, he was employed by the Pilot Butte Development Company prior to his election as teacher. He was commended by Mr. Boegli, county school superintendent, for doing a commendable job of teaching about sixty pupils. R.J. Gideon was hired to finish the term of Mr. Rowan who resigned to care for business interests in the southern part of the state.
Within a year, overcrowding required hiring two additional teachers and renting space in downtown buildings. Ruth Reid, who came to Bend in 1904 from New Brunswick, Canada, taught here and served as principal. After the regular school day, she taught high school level classes.
Later the school was moved to larger quarters in the new Central School. The Catholic Church used the framed schoolhouse. It later became the Knights of Columbus Hall.